Saturday, November 10, 2012

What I Ate During Hurricane Sandy

Sorry again for the all the delays in posts, it's been a pretty crazy month. I've been really sick, and then we got hit with the hurricane, and I lost power for 5 days. It was inconvenient, but my roommate Sara and I still managed to have a little fun with it, and we went old school and cooked by candlelight. During the four days we were still here, before we ran out of refrigerated food and escaped to Boston, we cooked all our meals using the frozen and refrigerated foods before they went bad. I tried to take as many pictures as I could, so enjoy this compilation of some of my Hurricane Sandy meals.

Before the power went out:

Poached Egg over Swiss, Avocado, Tomatoes and Spinach over Whole Wheat Toast:








My first attempt at a poached egg! I used Mark Bittman's directions here, and it's a lot harder than it looks! I lost a little bit of my yolk, I think because my water wasn't hot enough after I turned it down. I'm going to have to attempt it again sometime soon. 



Lemony Quinoa and Kale Salad



Ingredients: Quinoa, kale (dinosaur/lacinato), tomatoes, potatoes (sliced up and cooked, I used the baby tri color ones), green onion, avocado, squeezed lemon. 



Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies (All natural, no sugar added!)


Sara and I have been on a crazy dessert kick lately, but we have been using only natural ingredients, and no sugar, butter or flour. You can make some pretty tasty stuff though. I can't remember exactly what was in these cookies, or the ratio of the ingredients, so I apologize. We were in a crazy rush to make the cookies as the storm was really getting bad at that point, and we wanted to bake them before the power went out. But you don't exactly need to measure these out like normal cookies, so experiment. We used oats, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, banana, almond flour and baking powder, maybe some shredded coconut. If your cookies are too dry, try adding some egg whites

Chai Bars


Again, don't remember exactly what we used, but we used oats again, almond butter, chai powder, cinnamon, chocolate chips and maybe a little bit of baking powder. I'll try to do another post on some of our healthy desserts and go into more detail. 

Then the power went out shortly after this. Here's the best of what we ate the rest of the days:

Vegetable Egg Scramble

Ingredients: Greens (we used rainbow chard), tomatoes, garlic, onions.


Saute vegetables, then add eggs. We used two eggs or three eggs and egg whites for two people. 




Turkey, Swiss and Avocado Sandwich with Grilled Onions and Fried Egg



Homemade Mac and Cheese 
(in the dark) (and we added kale)


Ingredients: Whole wheat fusilli, tomatoes, onions, garlic, low-fat three cheese blend, Greek yogurt

Asian Cod with Rice


Cod: We cooked the cod in a frying pan and used a sweet gyoza sauce from Trader Joes.
Rice: Brown rice, rinsed, cooked in chicken broth, combined with kale, onions, garlic, coconut oil and a splash of gyoza sauce. 


This was our last dinner, and the last of refrigerated food, before we went to Boston. We also decided to make a special dessert:

Dark Chocolate Covered Popcorn With Coconut and Pretzel M&Ms


Now I'll admit, the pretzel M&Ms ruin the healthiness of this dessert, but take those out and it's really not so bad. We popped our own popcorn, which is always healthier because there's barely any oil and no salt, and popcorn is an excellent low calorie snack and source of fiber. We used 70% cocoa dark chocolate and melted it over the stove. We had to try it out twice, because the first time it burned and didn't melt very much. The second time we added water and it melted perfectly. We then added shredded coconut and tossed it together. So delicious! 

I hope that looking at all this food made you hungry. So go to your kitchen, and be grateful for the light, the cold refrigerator, the oven and the microwave, because I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment