Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What Are Superfoods? + Simple Salads

Load up on superfoods with these easy, healthy salad.

Sorry for the hiatus! It has been awhile, but I have a good reason for not writing: I finished college! I officially finished my thesis about a week ago, and I will be graduating next Tuesday and Wednesday. Insane! I've been busier than I thought I would be, finishing up with my work at the elementary school as well as my internship at CityEats, so I haven't had a solid amount of time to sit down and write. Now that my schedule is a little calmer, I can finally catch up on posts and start sharing all the goodies I have been cooking.

Today's post will cover the foods that everyone should be eating: superfoods. I'm sure you've heard of the term before, and while there isn't exactly a concrete definition, superfoods are foods that are highly nutritious, filled with tons of positive health benefits and very few, if any, negative properties. These are the foods that are going to aid in your overall health, help you live longer, and make you feel better--probably even help you lose weight. These fruits, vegetables, and select grains are lower in calories, but provide a heavy dose of essential nutrients and antioxidants.

So, which foods are superfoods? Here's a list of some of the most powerful things to put in our mouths
  • Fruits:
    • Apples
    • Avocado
    • Bananas
    • Blueberries
    • Brussels Sprouts
    • Carrots
    • Cauliflower
    • Cherries
    • Kiwi
    • Lemon
    • Oranges
    • Pomegranates
    • Pumpkin
  • Vegetables:
    • Artichokes
    • Bell Peppers
    • Broccoli
    • Kale
    • Mushrooms
    • Onions
    • Spinach
    • Sweet Potatoes
    • Tomatoes
  • Grains and Legumes:
    • Beans
    • Lentils
    • Oats
    • Quinoa
  • Animal Products:
    • Turkey
    • Wild Salmon
  • Other:
    • Chia Seeds
    • Cinnamon
    • Dark Chocolate
    • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    • Flax
    • Garlic
    • Tea
    • Walnuts
    • Yogurt
Now if you are into health, I'm sure you incorporate a lot of these foods into your diet without even realizing. As you can see, if you are eating a fruit or vegetable, it's probably safe to say it's a superfood. All of my recipes on this site include--at the very least--one superfood. It shouldn't be hard for you to find ways to add them into your meals. Toss a little bit of olive oil on some veggies, in a salad, on an egg. Eat a piece of dark chocolate everyday (remember, 70% or higher!). Eat an apple in the morning.

Be creative... or make the salad (below) that I made a few weeks ago!

It's really easy to cram a ton of superfoods together, as there is such a good balance of fruits, vegetables, proteins, and carbs. The salad I created can be made in two ways. In the first version, the green superfood salad is probably best as a side. In the second version, I added in a lot of protein and even more superfoods, and I was actually really surprised at how well the flavors worked together, since there were a lot of flavors! I would definitely go for the full salad, but hey, sometimes we aren't all that hungry!  

Ingredients:

 Version 1: Green Superfood Salad



Kale
Brussels sprouts
Cilantro
Green onion
Broccoli
Cucumber

Version 2: Super Superfoods Salad


In addition to the ingredients in version 1:

Sundried tomato
Artichoke
Pomegranate seeds
Feta cheese
Chia seeds
Chick peas
Lentils
Cooked sweet potato

Dressing: Balsamic vinegar & olive oil
Optional topping: Brewer's yeast for extra vitamins and a savory crunch


This salad was very filling, but left me feeling light and refreshed. Perfect for summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment